We are the Communications Workers of America Local 1104. With over 10,000 members in New York State and Long Island, we represent the highest trained, professional and hardest working telecommunications technicians in the region.
After a 2 week strike against Verizon to protect good union jobs, we fight tirelessly to ensure that our members get their fair share. We are on the front lines of battling corporate greed, and we are the first to donate our labor to benefit those who need us most. We believe in workplace safety, so that our members make it home to their families at the end of each day. We responded with diligence after Hurricane Sandy, and work tirelessly through unfriendly weather to ensure that you are plugged into the rest of the world. We are CWA Local 1104, and we care about our community.
Founded in 1938, CWA got its start representing telephone workers as the National Federation of Telephone Workers. It was renamed the Communications Workers of America in 1947. Today CWA represents workers in all areas of communications, customer contact, high technology, and manufacturing professions in both the private and public sectors, including health care, public service, education, customer service, airlines, and many other fields.
A number of unions have affiliated with CWA because of its democratic tradition and membership involvement.
- The Association of Flight Attendants in 2003.
- The International Union of Electronic Workers in 2000.
- The Newspaper Guild in 1997, as did the Independent Association of Publishers’ Employees.
- The National Association of Broadcast Employees and Technicians (NABET) in 1994.
- The International Typographical Union, America’s oldest labor union, in 1987.